How do I lose the virtual size in X?

Subject: How do I lose the virtual size in X?
From: Dana Robinson (derobins@uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 16:45:31 MDT

Hello!

I finally got YDL to run on a PowerMac 7500 with a 260 MHz G3 upgrade (after
unsuccessful attempts on 4400 and 6400 Macs). It runs great, but X is a
little weird. I'm using an Apple 15" Multiscan monitor, and I want to set
my display to 800x600 *without* using a virtual screen size. I've tried
hacking the configuration file, but I can't make it work. Even if I yank
the 'virtual' line for each field I still get a virtual size if I set my
resolution to higher than 640x480. Having a screen that small is kind of
annoying as the KDE menus get all munged up at the top.

I'm just using the native video on the board. I think it doesn't have much
memory - maybe 1/2 Mb? I suppose I could go to a PCI video card, but then
I'd have to use a PC monitor and I don't have a spare. I also have no idea
how I can get a PCI video card to work in OS 9.1.

Thanks!

Dana Robinson