Re: 7200/90, Sonnet Tempo ATA66

Subject: Re: 7200/90, Sonnet Tempo ATA66
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 04:27:36 MDT

Hi,

on 23/9/01 6:45 am, Yuri K at yuri_ko@mac.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am a newbie. Tried to install SuSE 7.1 PPC on the configuration and
> failed.
>
> No answer from their support for a week.

... try moving to a better linux distribution! The 7200 is classified in
the "unsupported but should work" category by YellowDog Linux. Penguinppc
is more positive (ie http://penguinppc.org/usr/hw/pmac.shtml)

> Is there an easy way to make this clunker work?
>
> Is there any way?

The Sonnet Tempo ATA 66 does work with Linux PPC - but maybe not as a boot
disc. It is necessary to compile support for the Sonnet card into the Linux
kernel - this may not be done by default in the kernels that ship with Linux
PPC distros.

I don't think you'll get very far unless:

- you can install Linux on the SCSI disc of the 7200 in its entirety
(probably not possible on the 500 Mbyte disc that shipped with the 7200)

- you have a Linux distribution that has support for your ATA controller
compiled in. In this case you could probably boot from the SCSI drive but
have most of the application files on the ATA drive.

Other people on this list may know more than I do - keep asking questions
but post more details of any progress.

  Iain