Re: Mail Server

Subject: Re: Mail Server
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 09:16:02 MDT

Scott,

My personal recommendation would be qmail. IMHO, it's best feature is it's
use of Maildir-style of mailboxes. All messages are stored as seperate files
in a users mail directory as opposed to be appended to the end of a single
mail file. Corrupt one message in a mbox-style mailbox and the whole mailbox
is corrupt. Corrupt one message in a maildir-style mailbox and it's only
one file corrupted.

qmail was written by Dan Bernstein and is also very secure. It also comes
with it's own POP3 daemon: qpop3. And if you needed mailing list support,
there's ezmlm.

It's relatively easy to setup and there's a great book from Sams Publishing
by Richard Blum, _Running qmail_, ISBN: 0-672-31945-4, $34.99.

I've heard a lot of good things about exim, too. Truth be told, I've never
even tried it because of how well qmail worked for me.

Good luck on your search.

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 09:50:04AM -0500, scott@conbro.com wrote: > I have a yellowdog 1.2 champion server g3 box and would like to make a > pop and smtp server out of it. I am not that familiar with linux and was > wondering if any one could guide me to a cheap (of Free) solution. Any > info is appreciated. > > Thanx > scott