Re: Please help me figure this kernel stuff out!!

Subject: Re: Please help me figure this kernel stuff out!!
From: Max Wiberg (max.wiberg@psy.umu.se)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 16:18:56 MDT

>I would really appreciate it if I could get some help on
>compiling a new kernel. I have spent the last three days
>carefully sorting though all the information that I could find on
>compiling a new kernel. Most of the info for the PPC with Boot X
>is fragmented at best. The other %90 of the info is for the Intel
>side of things and it doesn't help me much when it comes to the Boot
>X part. In short, I compiled version 2.4.10 of the kernel and copied
>it to the Linux Kernels folder in my system folder. Selecting this
>new kernel causes my mac to freeze when it's moving from the MacOS
>to Linux. I really need to have some questions answered on how to do
>this. Please, if you have the time and patience, email me at
>omegaman@theshop.net.
>
>Help is greatly appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>Kitt Thompson
>
>"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
>-H.S.T

Have you checked out Michael A Peters pages???
Go To:
http://24.5.29.77/Linux_Pages/
He has detailed instructions on doing this!

You can also download the binary rpm:s at:
http://www.linuxppc.org/software/index/ByDate.html

Use an ftp-client to download the source as well att
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/users/kfukai/

Dont forget to copy the compiled kernel to the /boot-directory
at the linuxppc/ydl side as well.

Cheers: Max!

Sys.admin
Max Wiberg