Re: Please help me figure this kernel stuff out!!

Subject: Re: Please help me figure this kernel stuff out!!
From: Kitt Thompson (omegaman@theshop.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 20:08:49 MDT

Thanks for the quick replies concerning my kernel building plea
for help. It appears it is far more involved than I had anticipated.
For example, I figured it would be safe to nab the latest source
from kernel.org for the build. But this might not be a wise choice for the
PPC crowd.
Also, I have been told that I should use "make vmlinux", since I am
using BootX, to build the kernel uncompressed, yet the email instructions
quoted below show a "make" instead. Which one should I use?

Thirdly, in searching for kernel souce, I have noticed kernel headers and
kernal doc tar balls in with the source tar balls. Would I need the headers
and docs for
a kernel build?

*whew* Ok, I guess my first question will be, where should I go to get
source for a build? Oh wait, that's my ... um ...third question. Fourth if
you consider the first paragraph an implied query.

Ah, the most frustrating part of Linux is the wealth of information spread
across
all of creation!

Sincerely,

Kitt