Re: playing audio cds

Subject: Re: playing audio cds
From: Martin Hill (martin@netspace1.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 01:27:19 MDT

John,

The TiBook doesn't have an audio connection from the dvd player to the
system's audio. Instead, the TiBook reads the data across the ide interface
using the CDDA protocol. This means that to use CD audio under linux, you
must have the CD recognized as a SCSI device. You need the kernel
command-line argument "hdc=ide-scsi".

In yaboot.conf you need the line:
append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Now the CDROM will be accessable as /dev/scd0, so you'll have to update your
/etc/fstab to mount data CDs.

You will have to use xmms with the AudioCD Reader plugin: install the
xmms-cdread rpm. Select "play location" in xmms and tell it /dev/cdrom
(update the link to /dev/scd0).

There's more info at
http://www.imaclinux.net/articles.php?single=469+index=10

good luck