Re: Please help me figure this kernel stuff out!!

Subject: Re: Please help me figure this kernel stuff out!!
From: Kitt Thompson (omegaman@theshop.net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 20:14:39 MDT

You guys are great! Thanks for the help to date. (Poetry unawares)

>> Thirdly, in searching for kernel souce, I have noticed kernel headers and
>> kernal doc tar balls in with the source tar balls. Would I need the
>> headers and docs for a kernel build?
>
> No. The headers are for people who don't want to have kernel source
> lying around but do want to build software that expects to include
> headers from the kernel. The headers are just a subset of the full
> kernel source and are usually put under /usr/src/linux (or a similar
> directory with /usr/src/linux being a symlink pointing at the actual
> directory).
Hmmm... ok. Why wouldn't someone want the kernel source lying around? And,
where would this kernel source be lying if it were around? Is this what's
placed in /usr/src before the build takes place, and remains after the
build
is complete?

(Bare with me. The Linux model is a completely new creature to me.)

> Such packages shouldn't be necessary, because it's supposed to be
> officially Not A Good Idea for user space programs to use kernel headers.
> However, enough of them do require kernel headers that the distributions
> generally have kernel header packages for those who don't want the burden
> of a full kernel source tree lying around.
I'll tuck this bit of wisdom away for when I actually have a better
understanding
of what's going on... :o

> Docs aren't needed unless you need to read them. :) The build process
> couldn't care less whether they're present.
I had my suspicions...

> Another thing: despite what many guides will tell you, you do not have to
> build kernels while logged in as root with the kernel source tree in
> /usr/src/linux. You can unpack the kernel source in a regular user's
> home directory and build it as that user with no problems. You only have
> to be root to install the modules and the kernel after they've been
> built. The advantage of this technique is that you can leave
> package-controlled files under /usr/src alone. (If /usr/src/linux
> absolutely needs to be your current kernel, just symlink it to wherever
> your build directory is.)
What is a package-controlled file and why would you want to leave it alone?

Kitt

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-H.S.T