Re: iMac questions.....

Mike Sterling (mike@killedkenny.com)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 15:00:09 -0700

>> 1. Are any other mice supported other than the Apple USB mouse? I have a
>> Logitech USB wheel mouse that I would prefer to use.
>
>Should be. As root run "mouseconfig".
>At the bottom of the list are the USB mice. (The options I believe are 1
>button, 2 button, or 3 button).
>
>As I haven't tested a non-Apple USB mouse please do let me know how it w
>orks.

Well, it works...kinda. Both buttons on the left and right do the same
thing, while clicking on the wheel (which is the third button) pastes
highlighted text (at least in the console).

While booting, the kernel reports that it is a LOGITECH N48 instead of a
LOGITECH M4848.

>> 2. It appears that the symbolic link for the XF86Config file in
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 is broken, as the target (/etc/XF86Config) doesn't
>> exist. Is there a default XF86Config file to use?
>>

>Yup... /etc/X11/XF86Config is where the config file goes.
>I'd try the config on w3.one.net/~johnb/imaclinux/
>We're working on an improved Xconfigurator which generates working
>modes on iMacs.

I downloaded the XF86Config.imac file, copied it to /etc/X11/XF86Config,
and made the appropiate change to BootX (video=atyfb:vmode:17). My iMac now
boots up in 1024x768, but X still won't start. Here's the output:

        execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
        _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
        giving up
        xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): Unable to connect to X server
        xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

>> 3. eth0 didn't initialize during boot. I get the following error message:
>>
>> Bringing up interface eth0:
>> Using DHCP for eth0: FAILED.
>
>Hmmmmm.. interesting. Did you configure your netwowrk?

I assumed that since it was set for DHCP, it would pull the appropiate
values from the network automatically. However, I switched over to a static
IP, and had no problems.