Re: iMac questions.....

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:20:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Mike Sterling wrote:

> >> 1. Are any other mice supported other than the Apple USB mouse? I have a
> >> Logitech USB wheel mouse that I would prefer to use.
> >
> >Should be. As root run "mouseconfig".
> >At the bottom of the list are the USB mice. (The options I believe are 1
> >button, 2 button, or 3 button).
> >
> >As I haven't tested a non-Apple USB mouse please do let me know how it w
> >orks.
>
> Well, it works...kinda. Both buttons on the left and right do the same
> thing, while clicking on the wheel (which is the third button) pastes
> highlighted text (at least in the console).

Hmm.. Well at least it's usable :)
Try it in X..

> While booting, the kernel reports that it is a LOGITECH N48 instead of a
> LOGITECH M4848.
>

> >> 2. It appears that the symbolic link for the XF86Config file in
> >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 is broken, as the target (/etc/XF86Config) doesn't
> >> exist. Is there a default XF86Config file to use?
> >>

> >Yup... /etc/X11/XF86Config is where the config file goes.
> >I'd try the config on w3.one.net/~johnb/imaclinux/
> >We're working on an improved Xconfigurator which generates working
> >modes on iMacs.
>
> I downloaded the XF86Config.imac file, copied it to /etc/X11/XF86Config,
> and made the appropiate change to BootX (video=atyfb:vmode:17). My iMac now
> boots up in 1024x768, but X still won't start. Here's the output:
>
> execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): Unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
Ahh.. you need to make the symlink to XF68_Dev..

Try this: cd /etc/X11/ ; ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev ./X
Then startx.. This should do the trick.

> >> 3. eth0 didn't initialize during boot. I get the following error message:
> >>
> >> Bringing up interface eth0:
> >> Using DHCP for eth0: FAILED.
> >
> >Hmmmmm.. interesting. Did you configure your netwowrk?
>
> I assumed that since it was set for DHCP, it would pull the appropiate
> values from the network automatically. However, I switched over to a static
> IP, and had no problems.

I believe that in the DHCP config file(s) you have to specify what machine
to query for the IP. I may be wrong as I don't have much experience using
DHCP.

Dan

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.