Re: iMac questions.....

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 17:22:50 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Mike Sterling wrote:

> >> The saga continues....
> >>
> >> It looks like that server wasn't included in the distribution. So, I
> >> downloaded it from the iMac linux site mentioned previously
> >> (http://w3.one.net/~johnb/imaclinux/) and copied it to
> >> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev and ln -s'ed it to /etc/X11/X.
> >>
> >> Still no go.
> >>
> >> execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 13)
> >>
> >> The rest of the error is the same.
> >>
> >> I'm getting closer....I can feel it.
> >
> >It's included :)
> >on your CDROM... RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-FBDev-3.3.3.1-29b.ppc.rpm
> >
> >Install that, verify the symlink, and startx.
>

> Ok, now here's the dumb question:
>
> How come this wasn't installed by default?
>
> I chose to install both the XWindows system and KDE, and from what I could
> tell, no X servers were installed.
>
> Feature?

Because Xconfigurator was not turned on in the installer.
We chose to do this because the introduction of the framebuffer X
technology brings out some problems with automated configurator programs
such as "Xconfigurator". We felt that being a Server edition, this wasn't
a major problem. I'm hoping we'll have the new and improved Xconfigurator
out soon. New people installing YDL via ftp, etc. will have that support
built in and we'll integrate the new version (and it's functionality) in
future versions of Yellow Dog Linux.

By the way, X server installation IS handled by the Xconfigurator
program.. so that's why FBDev didn't get installed by default.

> Mike

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com