Re: Install problems on PB G3

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 21:45:32 -0600 (MDT)

Good timing.
We just discovered this problem.

It's fixed now and the updcd_ramdisk.image.gz should show up on a YDL
mirror near you.

Basically, Powerbooks get identified as "Powerbook". Previously it was
thought that all Powermacs except for the iMac was identified (in the
kernel) as "Power Mac" or "Power Macintosh" so the installer was coded as
such. We recently added iMac in there, and not 10 minutes ago added
"Powerbook". I suppose with ever new Power mac line we might see an
identity change (as far as the kernel reports)

These sorts of bug reports are good as they help us determine if a
specific hardware has a specific identifier.

Thanks,
(This is my excuse to get ahold of a PBG3 *grin*)

Dan
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, perry wrote:

> I've got a Powerbook G3/300 with 192MB RAM and 2 gigs set aside for YDL,
> which arrived this morning. I partitioned everything, and got my macOS
> system back in place on the mac side of the drive, and then i went to
> install YDL, but i appear to have hit a snag...
>
> i'm able to get into the installer and say ok to the first screen, but when
> it craps out when i get to the language selection page. More specifically:
>
> "Install Exited Abnormally -- received Signal 11"
>
> all processes are killed off, and i'm told to reboot.
>
> in BootX, i have the settings listed in the install docs - "Use RAM Disk"
> and "No Video Driver" checked.
>
> Any idea what i can do to make this work? my understanding is that this is
> a supported machine. thanks.
>
> -perry

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.