Re: Install questions

jon klein (jklein@ivy.hampshire.edu)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:25:28 -0400

>The installer proceeds normally through partitioning. There appears to be
>some kind of hiccup during "scanning for available packages" which results
>in some sort of error message flashing to the screen...it has to do with
>reading a directory, from what I can tell (it's obscured by the dialog).

I had the same problem putting the files on my HFS partition. It turned
out that some of the important RPMs had names longer than 32
characters--the names got truncated, and the HFS install didn't work so
well. Have other people had this problem?

Slightly related, has anybody gotten an NFS install to work? I grabbed all
the files from the FTP site to a local machine and tried to NFS install: it
finds the second stage image, but it fails to find the correct packages,
and thus won't install.

I finally got my iMac install working by installing a semi-functional
system using the HFS method, putting the RPMs on a native linux partition,
and then
reinstalling. This got past my HFS problems.

>startx also returns the error others have described. I grabbed the
>XF86Config.imac file from the xconfigs directory at yellowdog, but I don't
>know what to do with it.

It belongs in /etc/XF86Config. After my full install, I was still missing
the X package! I had to manually install XFree86-Xvfb and Xconfigurator (I
think) RPMs to get it working. Then running Xconfigurator worked.
Secretly I used the iMac XF86Config file from the LinuxPPC distribution,
since I couldn't find one on the YDL site at the time, and it worked just
fine.

        jon