Re: Minor Problems

JP Rosevear (jpr@cr168790-a.nmkt1.on.wave.home.com)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:15:41 +0000

Mr Spiffy wrote:

> Whats the info I need for a FTP install? I have three partitions on my iMac
> ready, I was going to install LinuxPPC, but then I remembered Yellowdog and
> thought to check them out. I have a exchange partition ready, it has 326
> megs on it, a Linux ready partition, 1.2 gigs, and the Mac OS partition, at
> 2.4 gigs. If I copy the Champion folder to the exchange partition, will I
> have enough space?

You don't need to copy the whole champion folder for an ftp install. You only
need:

1) BootX from: ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/utilities/

2) The kernel and system images (vmlinux and ramdisk.image.gz):
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.0/ppc/install/

Put the BootX extension and control panels in your system folder as well as
vmlinux and ramdisk.image.gz (the extension in control panel go in the
appropriate sub folders).

Open the BootX control panel and make sure "Use RAM disk" is checked (the
ramdisk holds the installer). Then hit the Linux button and away you go.

When it asks for an FTP site you can use yellow dog 's or a mirror and the dir
(on yellow dog atleast) is: /pub/yellowdog/champion-1.0/ppc/

Note that a did have a little trouble with the yd ftp server gapping out but
the ppc kernel org site worked good (if slow).

-JP