Re: YDL on Blue G3 problems

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:40:51 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Dan wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I just installed YDL on my Blue G3 and I have a couple questions. First, is
> there any way to get YDL to use at least 16-bit color? I have to install w/
> my mac in 8-bit and the installer only recognizes enough VRAM for an 8-bit
> configuration. A Linux newbie, I did some research and found that vmode is
> the program that controls the bit depth and resolution. Whenever I try to
> change bit-depths and then start GNOME, the screen just blinks. In 8-bits,
> GNOME is almost unusable because it looks so ugly. If it makes any
> difference, my BootX kernel arguments are atyfb:vmode:17 -

I'm thinking this has to do with the B&W's ATI Rage 128 video card. Right
now there's no video driver for this card and I'm not sure how well the
standard ATY Framebuffer works with this new card. Play around and let me
know... Also.. someone posted to the list yesterday saying they were
running X on their B&W just fine. Perhaps they have some tips.

> Also, I can't, for the life of me, mount hfs partitions. With the
> challenger kernels, I was getting an error about a wrong major or minor
> number. I was not able to find any documentation on this however. I
> followed the iMac instructions from LinuxPPC to the letter, setting
> /exchange as my mount point and editing /etc/fstab. Now the error I get
> says that the kernel does not recognize /dev/hda8 as a block device. I know
> for a fact that hda8 is hfs, not hfs+ so I don't understand why it won't
> work. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

Are you trying our kernel?
You shouldn't need to use LInuxPPC's instructions as YDL on Blue and White
G3s are just like installing on any other machine. That challenger kernel
may not have HFS support, but ours does. So give it a try and let me know.

> Thanks,
> Dan
>

> --
> Celebrating Apple's 23rd year of going out of business

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
 website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/