Difficulty installing YDL on BW G3

Andrew Elliston (ale1@acpub.duke.edu)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:42:02 -0400

Hey,

I'm a complete newbie to Linux, but have wanted to get my feet wet for
awhile now. With YDL's implementation of the kernel that allows BW G3 owners
to use Linux, I can finally do that.

Here's the problem: I have copied the necessary BootX items to my system
folder. I have copied ramdisk.image.gz and vmlinux.gz to my system folder.
One of my drives is reformatted with 500MB and 1000MB unallocated
partitions.

After doing all of this, I restarted my Mac. During the boot process, BootX
complained that it couldn't find an appropriate kernel. When the boot
process had finished, running BootX App from the MacOS reports the same
error.

Error, could not find a suitable kernel file (#0)
BootX.c, line 865

Because people have succeeded with this install, I must be missing something
blatant. Any tips?
Also, how or when would I use the patches that YDL provides?

Thanks,
Andrew