Re: Archives?

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:07:01 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Dan Burcaw wrote:
> >
> > > 1) Is FTP install supposed to work, or is it still extremely beta? If it's
> > > beta, I provide these as a bug report, if not, well, I hope someone can
> > > help me out. At this point, this is only a summary- I'll post details when
> > > I have access to my friend's machine again. He's got a paper due tomorrow
> > > :-)
> >
> > I've done several FTP installs...and I know others have too.
>
> That's great- I hope I will soon too. However, since the manual says there
> is no FTP install yet, I wasn't sure if what I was running into was
> beta-style problems with the program itself or problems on my end. If
> others have done them, I guess maybe it's my problem, or something B&W
> specific as you suggest.
This is because the installer on the CDROM did not have FTP install
options. Mainly because it didn't work at that time.

> > Interesting.. I wonder if these errors are B&W specific.. I'll try ftp
> > install on o ur B&W.
> >

> Any luck? Or is it just me?

I haven't had a chance to do this yet. I'll let you know.

> > > but the install program does not recognize it as a yellowdog disc. Should
> > > the disc have a specific title? Or is there another trick to it?
> >
> > It has to be in ISO9660 format w/ Rock Ridge Extensions.
>
> It is. I'm curious- I notice that when my friend burned the disc, he put
> everything in /RedHat, /install, /... Should they be in
> /mnt/yellowdog/RedHat, /mnt/yellowdog/install, etc.? I had assumed that
> the /mnt/yellowdog/ notation in the README file indicated where the
> install program would look for it once mounted, but I might be wrong.

Basically the top level of cdrom needs to have "RedHat"
With RPMS, base, instimage under that directory.

> > We haven't made
> > an image available due to space limitations with our mirror sites.. If a
> > third party makes a image that works (using mkisofs or mkhybrid) we'll
> > place a link to it from the web page and in a README file on the ftp
> > sites.
>
> Understandable. Let us know. :)
>
> On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Ben Karas wrote:
> >
> > >If it does get past that stage, it goes fine through to package selection.
> > >After that, there is an obscure error related to "line 107" (don't
> recall
> > >the name of the file- I'll find it later).
> >
> > These errors occured because the version numbers changed. I might not have
> > listed all the rpms because I didn't install "Everything". Best method
> is
> > to copy down the names as you get the errors.
> >

> I was getting the errors on every single file, not just the X files.
> They started with base-xxx.noarch.rpm on. My friend is still working
> on his paper, so I have not yat made an attempt with the updated hdlist yet.

This is quite odd... Let me know if you get this again.

> > If you have the hard drive space, a 2.2.x kernel should be able to access
> > HFS partitions and therefore you could save the RPMS, base, and instimage
> > inside a "RedHat" folder on your hard drive. This solves the RPM issue,
> > but takes up 382MB of space.
> >

> I don't have the space, but the friend who I'm helping install has all the
> space in the world. If FTP doesn't work next time around, I'll try this.
> Do the 2.2.x's on the ftp.yellowdoglinux.com site have HFS support
> compiled in?

Yes they do.

> On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Dan Burcaw wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for pointing out the utempter thing.. this is fixed in the 'comps'
> > > file now.
> >
> > Actually it was right in the comps file. I bet this person didn't download
> > that file.
> >

> I didn't know I was supposed to d/l the file, nor can I find any mention
> (in either the yellow dog or red hat docs) of any time in the process
> where the file should be downloaded. If it is downloaded automatically,
> which is what I'm assuming, then... well, I should have gotten far enough
> to d/l it, since I did get all the way through the package selection
> process. Is there some place I should d/l it?

You don't need to download it.. the installer examines it from the ftp
server.

> Anyway, thanks again for any feedback- hope I can test these details
> soon...
> Luis
>

> #######################################################################
>
> "They call the faithful to their knees
> to hear the softly spoken magic spell:"
>
> "There's no place like home...
> There's no place like home...