RAID, Mylex, DPT, etc...

Subject: RAID, Mylex, DPT, etc...
From: Jason P. Stanford (Jason.Stanford@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 17:52:54 MDT

   Has anyone had any luck setting up a RAID 5 array on a beige (or B&W)
G3? I have been doing a lot of research, and I see a lot of Linux
support, but I suspect the majority is for x86 platforms. I have need to
take one of my lab's existing beige G3/300/128MB systems and use it as a
fileserver for 10-15 mac and 5 wintel clients using Netatalk and Samba.
The lab is used for graphic arts, industrial engineering, 3D and
multimedia development.
   I have been poring over the Mylex and DPT site for information on
their controllers. I have also looked into the Wetex enclosures and
drive bays. It seems to me that a good RAID 5 system could be
constructed quite efficiently and economically with a Wetex enclosure
and bays + Mylex external RAID controller.
   The problem, if it exists, is that I cannot tell whether this will
work with the Mac hardware. My understanding is that a SCSI-SCSI (or
perhaps FC-FC or FC-SCSI) solution with a "standalone" RAID array with
it's own controller should be usable by simply connecting the G3 to the
array via SCSI or FC cable, as appropriate.
   Is this correct? Or are appropriate drivers in the Linux kernel
necessary? If so, are they dependent upon the underlying architecture of
the system (G3 vs. x86)?
   Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason P. Stanford
Department of Art & Architecture
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA