Installing YDL on a Power Series 850

Subject: Installing YDL on a Power Series 850
From: MIke Rutherford (mike_rutherford@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 06:42:50 MDT

How does one go about installing YDL on a clean (no operating system)
Power PC? This machine has recently been running AIX, but I'd like to
install YDL and give it a whirl. The site doc state that this machine
is in the "will work with Yellow Dog Linux but is not officially
supported" category.

What I've done:

        1) ordered a copy of YDL on CDROM, but that won't be here until
mid/late August, so I:
        2) downloaded YDL from the FTP site. I now have a directory that
contains everything under RedHat.

What do I do at this point? Can I copy this directory structure to
CDROM and make it bootable? Do I need to create a boot diskette
perhaps? How do I start the install?

If this is documented anywhere, please point me in that direction. I've
been all over the YDL web site, but have not found anything outside of
the install manual, which doesn't seem to fit my situation.

Thanks,

Mike Rutherford