xset error(s)

Subject: xset error(s)
From: Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Date: Mon Aug 09 1999 - 03:34:27 MDT

Hey there.

Well, I guess no one knows anything about sleeping one's monitor. Nevermind, I
did manage to get somewhere but not far enough.

In order to test xset's "dpms" features I tried:

"xset dpms force standby" (without the quotes) and get the following error:

X Error of failed request BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
        Major opcode of failed request: 146 (DPMS)
        Minor opcode of failed request: 6 (DPMSForceLevel)
        Serial number of failed request: 11

I also get the same error when I try:

"xset dpms force suspend" (not willing to try "force off" ;).

Now, when I use numerical values (ie the number of mins until each function
starts) ie "xset dpms 2 4 5" (standby starts in 2 mins, suspend starts in 4
mins, off in 5), everything seems ok (get the prompt back without error) but
nothing happens. Maybe I misunderstand the usage of xset, but I am sure that
something is wrong (considering the errors above).

Can I please get some help on this!!!!! Error messages are your friend, right?
;)

Thanks all.

Ev. (new signature pending)