Champion Server 1.1 -- Necessary Files and Version Info

Subject: Champion Server 1.1 -- Necessary Files and Version Info
From: Michael Romano (miker@iname.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 09:01:04 MDT

I'm interested in trying out YellowDog on a PowerCenterPro 180. I'm
relatively new to Macs and very new to Linux on Macs.
I've got a few questions. All help much appreciated.

I've d/l'ed most of Champion Server 1.1 disk 1
(/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.1/ppc) *except*:
-- the misc/src directory just doesn't want to come down.
The server keeps timing out midway.
-- symbolic links won't download -- they are just ignored.

So, my questions:
1) will not having /misc/src on the CD affect the install?
2) will the lack of symlinks cause a problem? I'd imagine so....
    2a) if so, how can I resolve that?

3) What version of RedHat is Champion 1.1 based on? I think I saw a 5.2
textfile somewhere.
    3a) If I have that RH version, do I need to d/l all of the files in
/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.1/ppc ?

4) Lastly, what can I install on the dist once I get it up and running? Most
RPMs I've seen are for x86, alpha, and sparc.
    4a) Is there a Mac Linux software repository.

Additional Info:
-- I'm downloading to/ burning from a Windows PC (my work machine)
-- I have PPC Linux 4 (came w/ the Mac) and RedHat 5.0, 5.2, and 6.0 for the
PC (maybe some of these files would help?)

thanks in advance,

mike