Re: Does it work on an IBM 6000 43P-133Mhz ???

Subject: Re: Does it work on an IBM 6000 43P-133Mhz ???
robub14@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 12:41:54 MDT

You wrote:

I want to run linux on an IBM 6000 43P-133Mhz with 64Mb RAM, 2GB SCSI HD,
flopy, cd etc.

Is yellow-dog the right selection to make????

Can I download some floppy images to see if I can boot the system?

Roger.

I think you may want to try the install image zimage_chrp.installer located at
ftp.ppc.kernel.org/pub/linuxppc/misc
Copy it to a floppy and rename it ZIMAGE
Power on the machine with the floppy in the drive.
When the display shows the POST icons, hit the PF8 key. This will send you to
the ok prompt. '>'
Type: setenv boot-device floppy:\zimage
                boot
If it works it will bring you to an install menu.

This method works on our 43P RS6000's. They are chrp machines

Robert Bubel
t/l 293-9359
(914) 433-9359
robub14@us.ibm.com