Re: Rage128 beta fb driver

Subject: Re: Rage128 beta fb driver
From: Urs Hochstrasser (hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 05:48:24 MDT

>http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~atong/aty128/
>
>You'll find a diff that should patch into recent 2.2's, and
>a precompiled kernel based off Paul's stable tree.

Has anyone tried this with the YDL kernel? I tried the precompiled
kernel at the indicated web site on my B&W G3. The kernel seems to
work OK, but keycodes seem to differ - once again - from the ones the
YDL kernel generates.

With 'video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:32' , 'No video driver'
unchecked, I got a 1024x768 screen (75 Hz, 32 bit).

Because of the problems with the keycodes I started Xconfigurator
from an SSH shell on my MkLinux box. Again I used the 1024x768@75
mode with 32bits. The X-Window screen showed OK (I just had to find
the key which generated the 'O' character for 'OK' before the dialog
timed out...). But neither my G3's USB mouse nor an ADB variety
seemed to work with FBDev (XPmac left me at least my ADB mouse).

The driver itself seems to work OK then. Unfortunately testing it
witout mouse support seems to be a wee bit diffcult...

Cheers
--Urs Hochstrasser

Urs Hochstrasser hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch
Botanical Institute, Hebelstrasse 1, CH-4056 BASEL
SWITZERLAND Phone +41 61 267 23 07