Re: Rage128 beta fb driver

Subject: Re: Rage128 beta fb driver
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 07:18:12 MDT

The precompiled kernel uses the new USB stack. USB people will need to
boot into single user mode (init=/bin/bash) and edit
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard. Change the type from usb to adb. (The new USB
stuff uses the same keymap for both for usb and adb)

Dan

> >http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~atong/aty128/
> >
> >You'll find a diff that should patch into recent 2.2's, and
> >a precompiled kernel based off Paul's stable tree.
>
> Has anyone tried this with the YDL kernel? I tried the precompiled
> kernel at the indicated web site on my B&W G3. The kernel seems to
> work OK, but keycodes seem to differ - once again - from the ones the
> YDL kernel generates.
>
> With 'video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:32' , 'No video driver'
> unchecked, I got a 1024x768 screen (75 Hz, 32 bit).
>
> Because of the problems with the keycodes I started Xconfigurator
> from an SSH shell on my MkLinux box. Again I used the 1024x768@75
> mode with 32bits. The X-Window screen showed OK (I just had to find
> the key which generated the 'O' character for 'OK' before the dialog
> timed out...). But neither my G3's USB mouse nor an ADB variety
> seemed to work with FBDev (XPmac left me at least my ADB mouse).
>
> The driver itself seems to work OK then. Unfortunately testing it
> witout mouse support seems to be a wee bit diffcult...
>
> Cheers
> --Urs Hochstrasser

> Urs Hochstrasser hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch
> Botanical Institute, Hebelstrasse 1, CH-4056 BASEL
> SWITZERLAND Phone +41 61 267 23 07

Dan

Yellow Dog Linux for Apple G3 and PowerPC
  email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
  website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/