MP support

Subject: MP support
From: Michael Messano (messano@dicomed.com )
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 11:10:05 MDT

Hi all, I have a question about MP support in YDL and also LinuxPPC.
I have a Daystar Genesis dual-processor machine with several Seagate
Barracuda drives on the internal SCSI chain, and a Acclaim GX video
card. I have been trying to enable the second processor with no
luck. After a little tweaking, I have gotten the kernel to compile
cleanly, and it boots the machine fine. The only problem is, no
second processor. I have gotten it to work before, but it was quite
awhile ago, and I believe it was LinuxPPC 4, and the kernel version
was 2.0.36. My other question would be about the /boot directory and
it's role in the kernel loading process. Is it bypassed by having
the kernel in the System Folder? If so, can it be safely ignored? I
have gotten used to my Intel box needing the kernel in the /boot
directory along with the syatem map, and I have a routine I use to
upgrade my kernel on that machine. So, in the end, I wish to know if
it is possible at this point. My current kernel version, with
sources, etc, is kernel-pmac-2.2.16b obtained from
http://www.rufus.w3.org.

Michael Messano
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{} Michael J. Messano {}
{} Assembly Repair Technician {}
{} messano@dicomed.com {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{} Dicomed, Inc. {}
{} 1801 79th Avenue S {}
{} Suite 25 {}
{} Bloomington, MN 55425 {}
{} 612.883.0636 {}
{} http://www.dicomed.com {}

"The care of every man's soul belongs to himself.
But what if he neglect the care of it?
Well what if he neglect the care of his health or his estate, which
would more nearly relate to the state.
Will the magistrate make a law that he not be poor or sick?
Laws provide against injury from others; but not from ourselves.
God himself will not save men against their wills."
        -- Thomas Jefferson, October 1776