Re: Two questions (startup stuff and monitor settings)

Subject: Re: Two questions (startup stuff and monitor settings)
From: Benjamin Karas (bjk4@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 22:40:59 MDT

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Evan Read wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Two questions.
>
> One: When I last installed YDL, I forgot to turn off the NFS stuff and now when
> I start up, all the NFS related stuff fails. I actually want to switch it off
> ant start up and was hoping there was a nice easy way to selectively stop stuff

I'll try to field your first question...

When linux is booting, it runs a bunch of shell scripts contained within
the /etc/rc.d/ directory. These scripts start or kill various services,
which are usually indicated by the name of the script. Which folder of
scripts (rc3.d or rc5.d) gets executed depends on which init level you start
up in (see /etc/inittab). The scripts within each folder are executed in
alphabetical order.

Another thing to note is that each script is really a
symlink to a master script in /etc/init.d/ This method allows you to
rename and remove these scripts (from the /etc/rc.d/rc#.d/ directories)
arbitrarily.

Likely, one of these is labelled S##nfsfs. You will want to rename it to
K##nfsfs. On the other hand, you can run ksysv as root, which allows you
to do all the above graphically, which is what I recommend.

-Ben Karas

ps. I hope I didn't confuse anyone and I profusely appologize if I got a
detail wrong.