mouse problems -- bronze PB

Subject: mouse problems -- bronze PB
From: Harold Bolton (bolton@asl.cr.usgs.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 11:16:33 MDT

Over the weekend I installed CS 1.1 (from CD) on my new powerbook (400Mhz
128RAM). Apart from pdisk (in the installer) complaining about not being able t
write the partition the install worked just fine. (After I partitioned with
pdisk I had to use the ol' command-option-power reboot because the packages
wouldn't install in the supposedly new partition. After the ugly reboot, the ne
partitions were there and everything else installed just fine.)

My problem is with the mouse. During install, I said I was using the internal
ADB mouse (I guess that's the right one. Apple provided NO spec sheets at all
with this powerbook.) I also followed the install notes provided by YDL and
added the kernel arguments adb_buttons=1,103,111.

What I get almost works! The mouse button acts like the left button. F11 acts
like the right button (sometimes) and F12 puts a little 'tilde' on the active
terminal window. No sign of the 2nd mouse button, so no pasting has been
possible.

The biggest problem, however, is that I often get very long freezes. The
behavior is quite consistent with what might appear if the 1st mouse button wer
to remain depressed. ie -- moving the cursor around I USUALLY am able to make
other windows active (that's my setting) but left clicking does NOTHING. This
happens over and over. Sometimes after 30 or 40 seconds functionality returns,
but I often have to resort to the horrible 3-button restart.

Any clues?

cheers,
-harold

Harold Bolton
Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory
U.S. Geological Survey
Building 10002, Kirtland AFB-East
Albuquerque, NM 87115-5000

Phone: (505) 846-5646 (x3032 to use voice mail)
FAX: (505) 846-6973
E-mail: bolton@asl.cr.usgs.gov
Web page: http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/