Re: Powerbook150 Dumb Terminal

Subject: Re: Powerbook150 Dumb Terminal
From: Mark Fassler (fassler@frii.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 15:57:48 MDT

Rich Lafferty wrote...

> Quoting Mark Fassler (fassler@frii.com) from Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 02:42:59PM -0600:
> > If you have a free modem or printer port on your G3, then you can easily
> > use your Powerbook as a dumb terminal.
> >
> > - Add a line in your /etc/inittab file to put a tty on it's free port
> >
> > - Hook a serial cable from the free port on the G3 to the printer port
> > on the Powerbook.
>
> Does this need to be a null-modem cable? I've not played around with
> terminal-emulation between Macs, but with those Other Computers, this
> sort of thing would need a crossed-over null-modem cable.
>
> -Rich

IIRC, all Mac serial cables are "null-modem" cables. All of the
computers, printers, modems, etc send on the same pins and receive on the
same pins. All male-to-male cables and all female-to-female cables are
crossed over. All male-to-female cables are wired straight.

(Quite ingenious of Apple -- you'll never have the wrong cable.)

--
Mark Fassler
fassler@frii.com