other options for installing

Subject: other options for installing
From: Scott Hofmann (scott@mapobject.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 10:17:34 MDT

Dear List,

As mentioned in other listings, myself and others have an IBM
rs6000/p43/model 140 or 150 and we are attempting to get an install image
small enough to fit on a floppy.

I have assumed up to this point that this is the only alternative for
starting the install. I have a Sparc 5 that I have installed RedHat and
Debian on. In both situations, I was able to start the install from a
CD-ROM.

My rs6000 has a CD-ROM and it has an ethernet port. There is no OS on the
machine however. The firmware settings accommodate boot settings for
starting from floppy, cd-rom, ethernet and hard drive of course. Are there
any other alternatives to initiating the YD install from the firmware prompt
using cd-rom or ethernet?

Thank you for your help,

Scott Hofmann
scott@mapobject.com