Contour Designs USB UniMouse and CS 1.1 on bronze PB

Subject: Contour Designs USB UniMouse and CS 1.1 on bronze PB
From: Peter Foster (foster@onyx.si.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 16:10:19 MDT

Based on the blurb from Contour Design and Terra Soft from Aug 6,
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/news/1999-08-06.shtml,
I have been trying to get the Contour UniMouse 3-button USB mouse working
on my bronze PB with CS 1.1. The mouse works fine on the Mac side of
things.

Countour has provided a kernel (2.2.6-16bpmac, rather than the
2.2.6-16apmac? that came with YDCS 1.1) and an RPM at
http://www.contourdesign.com/unidrivers.htm

I put the kernel in my Mac System Folder and named it vmlinux. I rebooted
linux with the new kernel going, so I installed the rpm provided by
Contour. No mouse. I did mouseconfig in various ways (1 and 3 button ADB
and USB mice), but if I chose a USB mouse (followed by Xconfigurator) then
X refused to start. Choosing an ADB mouse gave me X, my trackpad, and no
UniMouse.

Is this the way to go about it? Is there a better way? Is there a way
that works? Should I go to the trouble of getting a newer kernel (I'm a
newbie at linux)?

On the brighter side, after reading through the last month's worth of
these archives from this list I have picked up some great tips. The tip
that suggested using trackpad.c to cure my overly sensitive trackpad was
much appreciated.

Peter Foster
Laboratory of Molecular Systematics
Smithsonian Institution