Sendmail for the newbie

Subject: Sendmail for the newbie
From: Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 03:02:08 MDT

Hey.

I have sendmail starting up when I boot into linux and I thought, why not get
that to do the job of an SMTP server and let me learn something about Sendmail
in the process.

Questions are: where can I learn more about Sendmail? I have been looking for
a how-to or even docs on the website but they are not exactely Sendmail 101
type questions.

am I right in thinking that I can configure sendmail so that it acts like an
SMTP server? KMail has an option to select Sendmail or an SMTP server so I
assume this is that case.

Is the use of Sendmail a really daunting undertaking or can someone at least
get basic functionality up within a short space of time...

Can I get a bit of a head count in terms of what people use as their mail
proggy that then sends stuff to sendmail for sending... Basially since KMail
really sucks ;)

Thanks to all.

Ev.