Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?

Subject: Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 07:24:16 MDT

> Greetings, Dick Benster at ribenster@home.net! On 30.8.99 8:49 am, you
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm running YDL Champion 1.1 with KDE on a standard 1998 beige
> >PowerMac
> >300Mhz G3 Mini Tower e with 6MB on-board SGRAM video memory.
> >I get lots of transient horizontal white lines while doing graphics, for
> >instance
> >simply dragging a window around, although the picture is correct once
> >the dragging
> >and drawing is complete. The above system has no such problems when
> >running
> >MacOS or MacOSX Server.
>
> Oddly enough, I'm having the same problems with a beige G3 MT/266, using
> both an Apple Studio Display 17" monitor as well as with a generic 17"
> multisync monitor (both via a VGA adapter). This also happens with YDL
> 1.0, YDL 1.1, LinuxPPC R4.1 and LinuxPPC 1999, in all cases running at
> 1024x768@24 or higher. So it would seem to be a general problem with the
> X server for the ATI card, right?
>
> btw My video performance has improved drastically since I installed YDL
> 1.1 (I ended up doing a fresh install--the update screwed up some
> things). It still isn't quite as fast in the MacOS, but it's pretty good
> now--before it was abysmal, despite a lot of fiddling with XF86Config and
> so on.
>

> Anyway, hope Dan can pull some more rabbits out of his hat. ;-)

Uh oh.. well, the question I have is are you both using "No Video Driver"
That would account for the crappy video. If not, have you tried various
video mode settings? (see the back of our 1.1 manual_

> Speaking of ATI, when are we going to see their Linux support? I heard
> that they were going to open up their drivers somewhere...

No, they are just getting the proper documentation to certain external
developers :)

> cya
>
> John
>

> John Grantham | Independent Web Designer
> | Dipl.-Designer (FH)
> | Homepage: http://surf.to/multimedia
> | MacLinux: http://www.maclinux.de/

Dan

Yellow Dog Linux for Apple G3 and PowerPC
  email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
  website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/