Re: gnome freezes

Subject: Re: gnome freezes
From: Harold Bolton (bolton@asl.cr.usgs.gov)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 07:41:08 MDT

Ben,

You are exactly correct. It was my mouse pad caught between taps. Thanks for the
good info. I would have never figured that out.

cheers,
-harold

ezmlm
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:28:48 -0600
> From: "Ben Beachy" <ben@slvccs.org>
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Subject: Re: gnome freezes
>
> Harold,
>
> > The behavior is as if the left mouse button remains depressed. I know that
my
> > mouse pad is not guilty because this behavior isn't apparent in the Mac OS.
>
> How sure are you the problem's not with the mouse pad (which I assume is a
> trackpad)? I thought I had a similar problem and it turned out to be related
> to the trackpad's default setting in YDL 1.1 -- a setting that causes it to
> react to trackpad taps as if they're mouse clicks. Of coursetrackpads are
> insanley sensitive and you can lock up YDL waiting for a mouseup even that
> never comes.
>
> Fortunately the solution is simple:
>
> Get a program called trackpad from
>
> http://xenu.phys.uit.no/~alvin/linux/trackpad_tool.tar.gz
>
> compile it with: egcs -o trackpad trackpad.c
> chown root.root trackpad and move it to /usr/bin
>
> Then in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local add a line like:
>
> /usr/bin/trackpad notap
>
> (shamelessly stolen from previous mail list messages : )
>
> Hope that fixes the problem for ya'
>
> Ben.
>
> --
>
> Benjamin S. Beachy <ben@slvccs.org>
> Technology Program Coordinator
> San Luis Valley Christian Community Services
>
> http://www.slv.org/ccs/
>
> --
> __
> / / (_)__ __ ____ __
> / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / . . . t h e c h o i c e o f a

Harold Bolton
Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory
U.S. Geological Survey
Building 10002, Kirtland AFB-East
Albuquerque, NM 87115-5000

Phone: (505) 846-5646 (x3032 to use voice mail)
FAX: (505) 846-6973
E-mail: bolton@asl.cr.usgs.gov
Web page: http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/