Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?

Subject: Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 08:36:26 MDT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, John L Grantham wrote:

> Greetings, Dan Burcaw at dburcaw@terraplex.com! On 30.8.99 3:24 pm, you
> wrote:
>
> >> Anyway, hope Dan can pull some more rabbits out of his hat. ;-)
> >
> >Uh oh.. well, the question I have is are you both using "No Video Driver"
> >That would account for the crappy video. If not, have you tried various
> >video mode settings? (see the back of our 1.1 manual_
>
> Nope, I unchecked "No Video Driver" and am only using the kernel argument
> for atyfb (I forget it at the moment, but I have it set to 1024x768@32
> for the console). I'll have to look at it at home as to what the exact
> argument is. My G3 is pretty much a stock setup, except for an extra 2 GB
> Barracuda SCSI internal running YDL, and I have a brand-spankin' new
> Apple Studio DIsplay.
>
> Or should I nuke the kernel argument altogether? I'm only using it for
> the console video at the moment. Though that shouldn't affect X, should
> it?
>
> As for my X settings, the current version is just what Xconfigurator spat
> out using CS 1.1 standard install, running Enlightenment/GNOME (correctly
> detected ATY Mach 64 w/6 MB RAM). I fiddled with Enlightenment's settings
> some, like setting the window redraw to Line instead of Solid or
> Opaque--that seems to help a little. I haven't tried other WMs,
> though--maybe it's a bug with E. I'll give WindowMaker a whirl tonight.
> Or Blackbox. Or AfterStep. Or whatever.
>
> The phenomenon isn't that bad, just mildly annoying at times. As Dick
> said, it goes away once the windows stop moving. The only other bug I
> have is that the GNOME menu bar is still slow, though better than it was
> in YDL 1.0 and LinuxPPC 1999.

I suspect it's more an E thing then anything. I was amazed how much better
GNOME + Window Maker run on both my K6-2 350 and my PB G3 400... E and
imlib can be tweaked for better performance, but I still didn't find
anything that I could live with.

> >> Speaking of ATI, when are we going to see their Linux support? I heard
> >> that they were going to open up their drivers somewhere...
> >
> >No, they are just getting the proper documentation to certain external
> >developers :)
>
> Like...Terra Soft, maybe? ;-)
>
> More seriously, how soon do you think we'll see the fruits of that? The X
> performance on my ATI card has improved dramatically in 1.1 (though how
> much of that was my fault is hard to tell), but it still isn't quite as
> good as under the MacOS.

Well, right now the rage 128 drive is getting acceleration and the rage
pro drivers are constantly getting updates, etc. (although nothing major)
3d support is another thing... that's what were interested in so hopefully
we'll be working on that soon.

> cya
>
> John
>

> John Grantham | Independent Web Designer
> | Dipl.-Designer (FH)
> | Homepage: http://surf.to/multimedia
> | MacLinux: http://www.maclinux.de/

Dan

Yellow Dog Linux for Apple G3 and PowerPC
  email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
  website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/