Re: Sendmail for the newbie

Subject: Re: Sendmail for the newbie
From: Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 09:15:00 MDT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:02:08 +1200, Evan Read wrote:

>Hey.
>
>I have sendmail starting up when I boot into linux and I thought, why not
get
>that to do the job of an SMTP server and let me learn something about
Sendmail
>in the process.

The best thing for a newbie to learn is how to get sendmail off their
machines as quickly as possible and install either qmail
<http://www.qmail.org> or Postfix <http://www.postfix.org/>. Personally I
use qmail, as does the machine on which this list is run. Sendmail is an
abomination for a variety of reasons.

However. if you must run sendmail. O'Reilly has an entire book about it.

>Questions are: where can I learn more about Sendmail? I have been looking
for
>a how-to or even docs on the website but they are not exactely Sendmail
101
>type questions.
>
>am I right in thinking that I can configure sendmail so that it acts like
an
>SMTP server? KMail has an option to select Sendmail or an SMTP server so
>assume this is that case.
>
>Is the use of Sendmail a really daunting undertaking or can someone at
least
>get basic functionality up within a short space of time...
>
>Can I get a bit of a head count in terms of what people use as their mail
>proggy that then sends stuff to sendmail for sending... Basially since
KMail
>really sucks ;)
>
>Thanks to all.
>
>Ev.