Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?

Subject: Re: How eliminate video artifacts while drawing?
From: Dick Benster (ribenster@home.net)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 10:10:09 MDT

Dan,

I am not using "No Video Driver" (mine won't boot with this option). I tried
using the kernel arguments
video=atyfg:vmode:18,cmode:32

but this has no effect (same problem regardless of whether specify video arg
on kernel line).

One thing I don't understand is in /etc/X11/XF86Config
under the Section "Screen" Subsection "Display" when it is given the Modes
"1152x864"
if this mismatch (versus 1152x870) causes a problem.

Another thing I'm clueless about is how to set the standard mode timings so
instead of

# 1152x864 @ 78 Hz, 70.8 kHz hsync
Modeline "1152x864" 110 1152 1240 1324 1552 864 864 876 908

we'd instead have some entry that matches more exactly

# 1152x870 @ 75 Hz, 7x.y kHz hsync
Modeline "1152x864" a b c d e f g h i (whatever these should be)

Could our problem stem from a mismatch of the horizontal timing and vertical
resolutions?
Any thoughts/clues about this? Thanks for your time.

Dick Benster
La Honda Software