problem: "nfs not supported by kernel"

Subject: problem: "nfs not supported by kernel"
From: Dick Benster (ribenster@home.net)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 01:26:19 MDT

On YDL Linux 1.1, I'm trying to nfs mount a directory exported from a
NEXTSTEP (BSD on Mach) machine that is imported (mounted) fine by other
NEXTSTEP machines. After exporting it properly on the NEXTSTEP machine
to the linux machine, I try mounting it on YDL 1.1 and get the following
message:
            mount: fs type nfs not supported by kernel

Earlier efforts yielded a mount failure due to server rejecting the
mount request due to permissions. Now I don't see that error anymore,
only the "not supported by kernel" error. This persists across
reboots.

I was confused by the permissions problem, and tried automounting
through /etc/fstab, then suddenly didn''t get the permissions error
anymore but rather this new one. The error changed roughly when I tried
putting the nfs mount into /etc/fstab and also the mount point (maybe no
relationship to these at all), but even after removing the nfs mount
from fstab this 2nd error is all I get. What am I missing? And is
there really no support for nfs mounting in the kernel? Thanks.

Dick Benster