Re: Change gdm to kdm

Subject: Re: Change gdm to kdm
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 10:33:02 MDT

>> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Frank SIGWALT wrote:

>> I have YDL 1.0 on my powermac 7500 with gnome environnement. I have changed
>> the configuration to start vith the KDE environnement.
>> My problem is : I can't change the gdm to kdm.

> here is a hacked way, remove /usr/bin/gdm and make it a symbolic link to
> /usr/bin/kdm :)

Here is the correct way to do this:

Open /etc/inittab in you favorite text editor (you need root to edit this
file), and add another line saying 'x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodeamon' then
comment out the line (using a hash mark) saying '# x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/gdm
-nodaemon'. Save it.

When you are done the bottom part of /etc/inittab should look like this:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
# x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
# x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodeamon

To see the changes, make sure you have no unsaved work on the X Server (it
will be killed when we do this). Switch to another console
(command-control-3) for console 3. Log in as root. Type this command:

/sbin/init 3;/sbin/init 5;logout

That should print the kdm log in screen up if you did everything right. Then
kdm will come up any time you go into runlevel 5 -- such as when you start
up or type /sbin/init 5 as root.

If you want to log into GNOME for some reason in the near future and GNOME
is still installed, simply choose GNOME from the list of sessions in kdm.

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net
AIM: arthur998