Booting problems...

Subject: Booting problems...
From: Jeff Ross (jeffross@vcn.com)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 13:25:30 MDT

I think I've done it now (or maybe that's again :-)

I finally got my modem to dial out and establish a PPP connection to my isp,
with thanks to Brett Humphreys <bh253395@oak.cats.ohiou.edu> who pointed me
to the imaclinux page and a great blow-by-blow description of what needs to
be done to what files.

Anyway, I got connected and launched Netscape Communicator, which promptly
locked the machine as soon as I tried to go to my home page. I three finger
restarted and now can't successfully boot.

Here is the error message I get:

/dev/sdb8 [this would be my /home]: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
MANUALLY
    (i.e. without -a -p options)

/dev/sdb9/; clean 51069/236640 files, 728781/944415 blocks

*** An error occurred during the filesystem check.
*** Dropping you to a shell, the system will reboot
*** When you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

So, I type in my root password and I get an incorrect login message. I try
it a couple more times with no success. Control-D runs through the shutdown
procedures and reboots the computer instead of proceeding with a normal
startup.

I read in the FAQ-O-Matic that I can boot with the ramdisk installer, and
then get into a virtual terminal with control-command-F2, run fsck there,
and proceed on. When I do that, however, fsck tells me that there is no
/etc/fstab file, and sure enough, there isn't. Nor can I create one because
vi (or any other editor I know about) isn't present.

Now I'm really stumped! I suppose I can re-install (again!) but I'll lose
all those file changes I made to establish PPP. I'll do it if I have to,
obviously, but if somebody can suggest another way to proceed I sure would
appreciate it...

Thanks,

Jeff Ross