Accelerated X

Subject: Accelerated X
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 07:54:09 MDT

Hi.

I am running the YDL CS1.1 distribution on a new PowerBook G3 (Bronze
Keyboard). Video is the ATI Rage LT Pro with 8 MB SDRAM. On boot, only 3
MB is detected and there is no acceleration. Not all that surprising
given that the documentation that accompanied the distribution stated
that an XFree86 based ATI frame buffer driver was not yet available.
However, I was curious as to whether this is still the case. I have
tried newsgroups and FAQs and have found discussions involving
everything from patches and kernel arguments to startx options and
sacrafical rites that are supposed to offer accelerated X. Well, maybe
not that extreme, but pretty close. Most of it seems highly
inconsistent, probably due to lack of context such as which PowerBook,
XFree vs Xpmac, which distribution, etc.

Could anyone supply either an explanation or links to information that
coherently cover the status of accelerated X for the new PowerBooks
using XFree86 ala YDL CS1.1? If so, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Cole