PCI IDE controller

Subject: PCI IDE controller
From: Todd Masco (cactus@hks.net)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 13:14:13 MDT

Howdy,

        I'm thinking of buying a PCI IDE card for my S900, purely
for mp3 storage. Big IDE disks being cheap, that seems to be the
most cost effective method to build a huge jukebox.

        What would people recommend under CS 1.1? I'd prefer that
it work under MacOS, but it's not absolutely essential. I'm thinking
that I don't want to cheap-out, but I'd like the least expensive
card with decent performance characteristics. Is that vague enough?

(By the way, my problems with audio before were resolved by
 1) making sure esd wasn't running, and 2) downloading the
 pre-compiled version of bladeenc. Seems that bladeenc is
 really difficult to build correctly, and, alas, there's no
 regression test included with it). I'd really like to see
 grip/cdparanoia/bladeenc included in the distribution, but that's
 just my $.02.

(Also by the way, when I see X freeze, I'm always running Netscape -
 but I'm always running Netscape, so there isn't much information
 there)

--
Todd Masco, CTO              | CCVS payment processing software for
Hell's Kitchen Systems, Inc. |  Linux & Unix systems: www.hks.net