Re: PCI IDE controller

Subject: Re: PCI IDE controller
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 21:11:58 MDT

I think it's Netscape causing the freezes... because there has been cases
of this. I think it's a matter of the Netscape port getting much more
robust.. this is the first attempt basically.

Dan

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Neil Jolly wrote:

> Todd Masco wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm thinking of buying a PCI IDE card for my S900, purely
> > for mp3 storage. Big IDE disks being cheap, that seems to be the
> > most cost effective method to build a huge jukebox.
> >
> > What would people recommend under CS 1.1? I'd prefer that
> > it work under MacOS, but it's not absolutely essential. I'm thinking
> > that I don't want to cheap-out, but I'd like the least expensive
> > card with decent performance characteristics. Is that vague enough?
>
> I'm using a Fujitsu 17gb (Model == MPD3173AT0) which works fine under
> mac os & under Yellowdog Champion 1.1, but didn't appear to work out of
> the bow with Linuxppc though I didn't really try to hard. It's Ultra 66
> compatible, so when that gets ironed out in the next few kernels I can
> get that running for pretty good access times. Also it was very cheap
> so reliability may be a problem in the future.
>

> > (By the way, my problems with audio before were resolved by
> > 1) making sure esd wasn't running, and 2) downloading the
> > pre-compiled version of bladeenc. Seems that bladeenc is
> > really difficult to build correctly, and, alas, there's no
> > regression test included with it). I'd really like to see
> > grip/cdparanoia/bladeenc included in the distribution, but that's
> > just my $.02.
> >
> > (Also by the way, when I see X freeze, I'm always running Netscape -
> > but I'm always running Netscape, so there isn't much information
> > there)
>
> I've never had a problem with freezes under Champion 1.1, and I use
> Netscape a lot. My current up time is nearing a month with no problems
> (running 2.2.11 on beige G3 r2 clocked to 292mhz/96mb ram).
>

> --
> Neil Jolly
> (with Yoda-like voice)
> "Confrontation leads to anger... Anger leads to fear... Fear leads
> to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems... And this is
> how the ancients fell...

Dan

Yellow Dog Linux for Apple G3 and PowerPC
  email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
  website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/