little endian ... big endian ???

Subject: little endian ... big endian ???
From: Andrew (powermac@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 08:25:49 MST

Hi All,

    I'm new to YDL but have used other Linux distributions before so I know
my way around the system... I think.

Here's my problem, I'm on a DSL connection and my ISP has recently switched
to using PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet). They have supplied
an Intel Redhat binarie and the source. I've downloaded the source code and
checked to make sure I have the libraries needed (libpcap-0.4, Libnet) and I
beleive I have them. The problem is when I go to run "make" for the pppoe
source it returns this series of messages shown below. To be honest I'm
confused, I've never heard of "little endian" or "big endian" before so I
have no idea where to start.

Any Idea's?

Regards,
    Andrew

[root@gossamer pppoe.src]# make
cc -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -Wall -g main.o
pppoe-discover.o libpcap.a libnet.a /usr/lib/libpthread.a -o pppoe
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
/usr/bin/ld: main.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is big
endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file main.o
/usr/bin/ld: pppoe-discover.o: compiled for a little endian system and
target is big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
pppoe-discover.o
/usr/bin/ld: pcap.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is big
endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
libpcap.a(pcap.o)
/usr/bin/ld: pcap-linux.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
libpcap.a(pcap-linux.o)
/usr/bin/ld: savefile.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
libpcap.a(savefile.o)
/usr/bin/ld: bpf_filter.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
libpcap.a(bpf_filter.o)
/usr/bin/ld: sockpacket.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
libnet.a(sockpacket.o)
/usr/bin/ld: build_ethernet.o: compiled for a little endian system and
target is big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
libnet.a(build_ethernet.o)
/usr/bin/ld: error.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is big
endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
libnet.a(error.o)
make: *** [pppoe] Error 1