HELP: How to reconfigure X display resolution?

Subject: HELP: How to reconfigure X display resolution?
From: D W (dw9901@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 18:09:18 MST

Hello,

I am running YDL on a PowerMac with a Sony 17" multisync
monitor.

X was originally configured to allow for 1024x768 at
8bits and 16bits (I think), but when I run the KDE
Settings -> Information -> XServer, it shows:

name of display : :0.0
version number : 110.0
vendor string : The XFree86 Project, Inc

screen #0
  dimensions : 1024x768 pixels
  resolution : 75x75 dots per inch
  depths(1) : 8

I am trying to run X at: 1024 x 768 at 16 bits instead
of 8.

When I run Xconfigurator, I choose the
Apple ColorSync 17" Display, and chose
1024x768 x 8bits and 16bits.

When I did the XServer getinfo again, it still
shows up as 8 bits.

Since Xconfigurator showed that I have
2MB or video RAM, shouldn't 1024x768x16
be possible?

If so - what is the exact and correct way
to configure X as such?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.