Monitor Resolution and Driver

Subject: Monitor Resolution and Driver
From: Phil Kirschner (pak1@cec.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 14:40:49 MST

Hey all. I have read a lot of articles about monitor resoltution and
screen refresh rates, but nobody has been able to really answer my
question. I even had some linux guys here take a look at my
XF86Config file, and they told me they couldn't figure it out.

So, I am running CS1.1 on a beige G3 tower, that has not had any
video-cards added to it. Base configuration. I have an Apple
Multiple Scan 15 Display, which is not a fancy monitor by any means.
When I first booted up X, it gave me 800x600 resolution, and crappy
screen refresh rates. This is where my question about drivers comes
in.

Are there more specific things I could put in XF86Config to make my
monitor work better, and get 1024x768 resoltion? Is this a lost
cause with this monitor and no extra video card? I was told once
that running Xconfigurator should prompt me for my desired
resolution, but that doesn't happen. I also tried getting the
autoconfigurator, but that made it worse.

I guess what I am really asking is if anyone has been able to get
this monitor without an extra video card to run smoothly at 1024x768
resolution? This is really the only thing stopping me from
completely switching to linux, as I would like to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Phil

" Ill believe computers can think when you ask one question
and it replies, "That reminds me of a story. "

                -Gregory Bateson