need a working (non-panicking) kernel for "Yikes" G4

Subject: need a working (non-panicking) kernel for "Yikes" G4
From: David Minot Weld (dweld@leland.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 17:37:48 MST

Hi everyone

I installed YDL on my "Yikes" G4 recently, and, after a very hassle-free
installation, quickly ran into the problem that whenever I try to actually
start LINUX, I get the old

kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:41

after about page and a half of happy burblings about mice and things. I
looked this up in the list archives, and it seems people mostly feel that
a new kernel will fix this. However, I've tried the YDL kernel from the
CD, and also the kernel available on YDL's Solution's Page (the one
that I think is supposed to be for Sawtooth G4s), and neither has worked
so far. Oh, and I've been using BootX 1.2b3, off of Benjamin
Herrenschmidt's very helpful website. If anybody has any suggestions on
booting YDL on a Yikes, I'd be very grateful for them.

thanks a lot,

David

PS- sorry if this is a stupid question; I'm new to ydl, and to linux in
general.