Re: Monitor Resolution and Driver

Subject: Re: Monitor Resolution and Driver
From: Phil Kirschner (pak1@cec.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 01:59:49 MST

First of all, thanks for responding. Secondly, here is everything I
think you could possible want to know in order to help me out:

Beige G3 Minitower
Apple Multiple Scan 15 Monitor
MacOS display is /pci/ATY,mach64_3DU (says dmesg)
Using unsupported 832x624 ATY,mach64_3DU at 82800f00, depth=32,
pitch=3328 (also from dmesg)
"No Video Driver" is checked in BootX
I'm using XFree86 3.3.3.1-49b
I'm also using Xconfigurator-4.2.4-1a

When I run Xconfigurator, it never gives me any options to choose
anything. When I asked about "specifics" in XF86Config, I was
referring to driver-related things. I am a newbie to linux, so I was
not sure if there was something to put into that file to tell the
machine exactly what kind of card it is dealing with. Should I pass
something to the kernel from BootX, and uncheck the "No Video Driver"
thing? Any help would be great.

For what it is worth, I have attached my XF86Config file. It is
exactly as the CS1.1 installer set it up originally.

-Phil

>Phil Kirschner wrote:
>

>Snip
>

> > When I first booted up X, it gave me 800x600 resolution, and crappy
> > screen refresh rates. This is where my question about drivers comes
> > in.
> >
> > Are there more specific things I could put in XF86Config to make my
> > monitor work better, and get 1024x768 resoltion? Is this a lost
> > cause with this monitor and no extra video card? I was told once
> > that running Xconfigurator should prompt me for my desired
> > resolution, but that doesn't happen. I also tried getting the
> > autoconfigurator, but that made it worse.
>
>More info please! Are you using Xpmac or XF68_FBDev? Is No video driver
>checked in BootX? More specific than what? etc.?
>

> > I guess what I am really asking is if anyone has been able to get
> > this monitor without an extra video card to run smoothly at 1024x768
> > resolution? This is really the only thing stopping me from
> > completely switching to linux, as I would like to.
>
>I'd be suprised if it couldn't be done. Check the pages in my signature
>for more tips.
>

>--
>Neil Jolly mailto:neil@jolly.ca
>Got trouble with your X?
>Try
>http://www.members.home.net/njolly/xfree86/

" Ill believe computers can think when you ask one question
and it replies, "That reminds me of a story. "

                -Gregory Bateson