Re: Monitor Resolution and Driver

Subject: Re: Monitor Resolution and Driver
From: Phil Kirschner (pak1@cec.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 16:32:32 MST

>Firsy uncheck the no video driver box. Next add a video argument to bootx
>like: "video=atyfb:vmode:17,cmode:24". Boot into linux, and rerun
>Xconfigurator. Setup your video as desired, and exit Xconfigurator, witout
>running the test. Run startx, and you should be done.

Progress at last, but still issues. I entered the above kernel args
into BootX, and my machine booted into 1024x768 resolution for the
text mode. I reran Xconfigurator and it prompted me for my monitor
type and resolution, which I had never seen before. I chose the
exact monitor that I have, and tried to select a few resolutions.
When I ran startx, it failed, and there were all these lines about
modes being deleted. When I looked back into XF86Config, I saw that
the configurator had added a LOT of modes, but was not using any but
3 or 4 in the Screen section, like I specified.

To get to the point, I now have text mode at 1024x768 and that's
great. I can't get X to run in 1024x768, and I don't think I want to
try. When I boot into the working Xwindows, I hear a high pitch
noise as the monitor switches resolutions. Is that as bad as it
sounds? Can I ignore it? Anyway, I read an Apple tech sheet on the
MultiScan 15 monitor, and they say it can't run at 1024x768 on a Mac,
only on PC/PC compatibles with an adapter. Is that a problem with
Linux?

I will keep tweaking XF86Config, but if someone could offer insight
about the noise, and the possibilities of running X at 1024x768, that
would be great.

Phil

" Ill believe computers can think when you ask one question
and it replies, "That reminds me of a story. "

                -Gregory Bateson