Re: Email and localhost.localdomain configuration

Subject: Re: Email and localhost.localdomain configuration
From: Clark Baker (cmbaker@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 13:15:32 MST

   Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:14:25 -0500
   From: Myles Vredenburg <myles@nycap.rr.com>

   Clark Baker wrote:

> I use Kppp to dial into TIAC.NET and this seems to work fine. I
> notice that Kppp temporarily edits my resolv.conf to read:
> <snip>
> Some sites refuse to accept e-mail from me. One referred me to
> maps.vix.com (Mail Abuse Prevention System).
>
> I believe my problem is related to the above warning and that I need
> to properly configure the localhost.localdomain. How do I do this?
> Is this in /etc/mail/access? Is there still going to be a problem
> that I am called "cmb" on my local Lunix system, but my POP box at my
> ISP is cmbaker? If there is no easy way around this, I can change my
> name on Linux.

   Take a look at the address-rewriting mini how-to. You need to configure
   sendmail to use a "smart host" (typically your isp's smtp server).

Myles is correct. I added the following to /etc/sendmail.mc:

define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.tiac.net')

and recreated sendmail.cf. All seems fine.

--
Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
cmbaker@tiac.net