Re: Supported PCI Video cards?

Subject: Re: Supported PCI Video cards?
From: Povl H. Pedersen (pope@mail1.stofanet.dk)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 13:19:19 MST

At 14:29 20-12-1999 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Neil Jolly wrote:
> > [...] there's now a source of information for XFree86 specific to
> > the power pc platform. It's still in the formative stages, so be nice to
> > me if you find any errors. The new pages are at
> > http://www.members.home.net/njolly/xfree86/index.htm . Check them out,
> > and let me know what you think. More information is always welcome, as
> > are new ideas.
>
>Is there a list somewhere of the third-party PCI video cards that are
>currently supported? I haven't found anything like that in the list
>archives.
>
>It seems clear that all ixMicro TwinTurbo, ATI RagePro and ATI Rage128
>boards are not supported, although the versions of these boards that
>shipped with Macs are supported. I'd like to upgrade the video card on my
>PowerComputing clone, but it looks like I wouldn't be able to get
>accelerated video with the most attractive cards. (The ixMicro Ultimate
>Rez and ATI Xclaim 3D are the ones I was looking at).
>
>If third-party cards just aren't supported right now, does anyone have
>suggestions about where to find supported cards, used or new?

ATI XClaim GA (as delived with some PowerMacs) works perfectly for me under
X. I bought it as a 3rd party card at that time. Most cards that works on a
PC should work on a Mac as well, as long as they are PCI.

Just like my D-link DFE-450 ethernet card works as well under PPC linux as
under Linux on a PC.