Re: FTP throughput problems

Subject: Re: FTP throughput problems
From: Jon Gardner (jon@food.tamu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 08:16:45 MST

on 12/20/99 3:29 PM, Jim Cole at greyleaf@yggdrasill.net wrote:

>> Right after a restart, I get great throughput, but as time goes on it starts
>> losing ground. I restarted the box this morning, and was getting
>> 70-90Mb/min. throughput. Now, 12 hours later, I'm getting about 7Mb/min.
>> throughput from the same client with the same files.
>
> Is it *only* IO performance that degrades over time? Have you checked to
> make sure that some other process isn't sucking down system resources?
> Perhaps something leaking memory until it starts pushing everything into
> swap or something that starts up later and hammers the CPU?

Nothing else looks amiss at all. I did a complete reinstall of YDL just to
be sure, and monitored top while I was dumping about 20Gb of data to the
system via ftp. The only two processes using any CPU to speak of were top
and ftpd, and the memory was hanging stable at about 2Mb free actual, 2-4Mb
swap used. I have noted that once the system slows down, all I/O seems to be
affected...NFS, ftp to/from any drive, even copying data from one local
drive to another.

<><
Jon L. Gardner '89, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:jon@food.tamu.edu>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 409.458.1839 Fax 409.845.2157 ICQ 34792860
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>